The primary purpose of Helotes Animal Control is to prevent the spread of the rabies virus by investigating bites. In addition, the Animal Control Officer helps ensure the humane treatment of animals within the City, including helping to reunite lost pets with their owners.
All dogs and cats over four (4) months of age must be registered within the City of Helotes. Residents should complete the Pet License Application and pay the appropriate fee online. Owners will receive a pet license and tag from the City.
City Code requires the following for pets:
- Vaccinated against rabies
- Restrained (leash or secure yard) at all times
- Dangerous animals must be confined within a secure building or enclosure
- Wear identification on a collar
- Females that are not spayed should be confined, except for controlled breeding
- Owners should ensure that pet waste on public sidewalks, recreational areas, or private property is immediately removed
Violations of Animal Control Ordinances are punishable by a fine of up to $500.00 for each violation or day.
City of Helotes residents wanting to surrender a domestic animal should contact Animal Control for terms and fee information.
Animal Trap Rentals
Animal Control offers traps for use to residents. If you have a wild or nuisance animal on your property, contact Animal Control for more information about traps.